2009-09-13

VMworld 2009 - general

My thoughts on VMworld 2009 in San Francisco.

The Moscone North and South are a decent size, even more so when you add the West building (which VMworld did not occupy). I did get a little confusing remembering if I was in the North building or South building and where I needed to go for my next session.

There were lots of sessions (Breakout, Super, BoF, Labs, self paced Labs). Too many sessions to squeeze into four days. I wish they made the days longer and added a fith day. I had to skip some important sessions to attend even more important sessions. Yeah, I know, they will all be available online soon. The whole point of attending is being able to ask your question(s) and talk to people.

The little book of session times & locations and maps included with the badge holder was nice, but incomplete. The BoF (bird of a feather) sessions were not listed and only 2/3 to 3/4 of the Breakout sessions were listed.

It seems that just because a session was marked as 'full' on the VMworld web site did not mean that you couldn't get in. I guess people were signing up for everything in sight and then cherry picked once they got there. This worked to my favour as I got into some of these full sessions.

The Instructor led Labs for me turned out OK. I participated in the LCM and PowerShell Labs and spectated the Performance and Troubleshooting lab. There were no crashes or other problems.

The show floor seemed nice. I took me an hour just to walk up and down all of the aisles with only stops at the VMware and Dell booths. Unfortunately, by the time I had a couple of free hours again on Thursday most of it had already been dismantled. See comment above about squeezing too much into four days.

A couple of nice spots to eat are Little Joe's (http://www.little-joes.com/) at 85 5th St & Mission St, and Pier Market (http://www.piermarket.com/) on Pier 39.

No comments: